04.03.2013 • News

Arbitrator Sets Final Dow Chemical Payout from Kuwait Venture

Dow Chemical said an arbitrator has ruled it is owed $2.48 billion by a Kuwaiti firm that scuttled a 2008 joint venture, though it is not clear when the funds will be paid.

The company had expected at least $2.16 billion, and on Monday the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce ruled at least $318 million in interest and other fees should be added to the amount, Dow Chemical said in a statement.

In late 2008 Dow planned a $17.4 billion joint venture with Petrochemical Industries (PIC) of Kuwait, spinning off its basics plastics business into a standalone company called K-Dow.

PIC pulled out of the deal in December 2008, citing a deteriorating global economy. An arbitrator ruled last year that PIC was at fault and owed Dow Chemical $2.16 billion, plus interest and costs.

Dow said the decision finalizes the amount in interest and fees Dow Chemical can expect, but it is unclear when the company will receive payment.

PIC, a unit of the Kuwait Petroleum Corp, was not immediately available to comment.

"We are resolved to take appropriate action to ensure timely payment," Dow spokeswoman Nancy Lamb said. She would not elaborate on what action Dow Chemical could take.

 

Expert Insights

ADCs for Precision Cancer Therapy
Comprehensive Insights into Antibody–Drug Conjugates

ADCs for Precision Cancer Therapy

Explore how antibody-drug conjugates are reshaping precision cancer therapy and discover what it takes to successfully develop, manufacture, and scale these complex biologics.

Interview

Navigating Uncertainty and Driving Innovation
Meeting Pharma’s Demand for Speed, Reliability, and Flexibility

Navigating Uncertainty and Driving Innovation

Axplora CCO Arul Ramadurai discusses navigating industry uncertainty, building strategic partnerships, and advancing flexible pharmaceutical manufacturing

most read

Photo

VCI Welcomes US-EU Customs Deal

The German Chemical Industry Association (VCI) welcomes the fact that Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, and US President Donald Trump have averted the danger of a trade war for the time being.